The Yorkshire Football Forums
Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxings Magnificent Seven (Reports Saturday Nights Sky Box Office Boxing)

2 posters

Go down

Boxings Magnificent Seven (Reports Saturday Nights Sky Box Office Boxing)  Empty Boxings Magnificent Seven (Reports Saturday Nights Sky Box Office Boxing)

Post by NIGHTMARE Sun 19 Sep - 11:00:18

DEGALE WINS IN ONE

James DeGale earned a crack at the British super-middleweight title by stopping Carl Dilks in one round.

The Olympic gold medallist barely broke sweat on his way to an eighth straight professional victory, stopping the Liverpudlian with six seconds of the opening round remaining.

Referee Howard Foster was booed by some sections for stepping in, but with Dilks backed onto the ropes for second time in quick succession and his eye cut already, it was by no means premature.

WIth the fight being official eliminator for the British title, DeGale is now in line for a meeting with reigning champion Paul Smith.

However, DeGale and promoter Frank Warren admitted they are already eyeing a fight with Commonwealth champion George Groves, who was watching on at the LG Arena on Saturday.

"No disprepect to anyone domestically, but I'm the best already." DeGale told Sky Box Office. "I'm a man on a mission and I'll fight whoever Frank puts in front of me."

Warren added: "We want Groves next.

"He's here and he's called him out. Now we're saying put your money where your mouth is. I've offered them good money and they'll get a written offer on Monday."

The telling punch in the fight was a big left straight that sent Dilks' head rocking back and shunted him on to the ropes but rather than respond, he stayed their and invited the stoppage.

HALL QUITS AFTER EURO DEFEAT

Matthew Hall failed in his bid to claim the European light-middleweight title on Saturday night - and duly called time on his career.

Lucas Konecny proved too good for the British fighter, who recently stepped in to replace former champion Ryan Rhodes, stopping him in the sixth round.

The Czech star was too quick and too clever for Hall, who had hardly been helped by a delay to the fight due to a problem with his glove in the dressing room.

Konecny improved as the fight went on and always looked too sharp for his out-classed foe.

By the time the sixth round arrived he was totally on top and a stinging left and a follow-up flurry put Hall down in his own corner.

Hall got to his feet and bravely continued by another barrage soon followed and saw the fight ended with 67 seconds left in the round.

After the contest, Hall told Sky Box Office: "There was nothing there. He struck me with a good shot to the body but this is me done now.

"If I can't compete at this level, I'm not going to be second-best and scrape around."

MACKLIN PLEASES HOME FANS

Matthew Macklin reclaimed the European middleweight title by beating Shalva Jomardashvili in his home city of Birmingham on Saturday.

Macklin outclassed the Georgian over the first five rounds, without seriously troubling him, but just as the sixth round was set to start Jomardashvili's corner pulled their man out.

Victory meant Macklin regained the belt he first won 12 months ago with a first-round win over Amin Asikainen.

He then vacated it to seek other targets but got a second chance to win the title when his scheduled opponent Darren Barker withdrew injured.

Barker duly vacated the belt and Macklin, who has been training at legendary trainer Freddie Roach's Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles, took full advantage.

Asked if he wanted to fight Barker once he has recovered, Macklin appeared to steer away from that fight, eyeing a world-title shot.

"I'm in this to be world champion," he told Sky Box Office.

"I don't fear anyone in this division."

With promoter Frank Warren alongside, Macklin mentioned IBF champion Sebastian Sylvester by name, saying "let's get it on".

With the German's promoter also in attendance, Macklin clearly hopes that fight can be made.

JENNINGS CUT SEES BROOK WIN

Kell Brook extended his unbeaten record to 22 fights and retained

his WBO intercontinental welterweight title with a fifth-round win over Michael Jennings in Birmingham.

Sheffield fighter Brook landed a left hand which opened a serious cut around Jennings' left eye and with blood beginning to pour from the wound referee Terry O'Connor took a quick look before waving the contest off.

It was a fine win for Brook who is now itching to move into world-title

contention himself, but a flat ending to a contest which never quite lived up to its billing as a potential domestic blockbuster.

Brook was also disappointed with how things ended, telling Sky Box Office: "I was a little bit unsatisfied.

"I wanted him out clean, unconcious on the canvas - that would've been nice."

The bout was doubling as an eliminator for the WBO title, currently held by pound-for-pound superstar Manny Pacquiao.

Former world champion Naseem Hamed, who came out of the same Sheffield gym, said before the fight that Brook has the power to knock Pacquiao out.

However, such a fight appears unlikely to be made with Pacquiao targeting bigger names in the United States.

CHISORA NOW A DOUBLE CHAMPION

Derek Chisora added the Commonwealth heavyweight title to his British crown by stopping Sam Sexton in Birmingham on Saturday.

Chisora produced an impressive performance in the LG Arena, one which culminated with a brutal assault on his opponent in the ninth round.

Sexton was unable to withstand the blows and with just seven seconds of the round remaining and pinne up against the ropes, referee John Keane stepped in to halt the contest.

Chisora had dominated the contest, fending off Sexton's square-on advances without ever quite finding the power to stop it until Sexton started to flag.

The finish was all the more impressive given Chisora had never been nine rounds in his career so far.

It also meant Chisora repeated his 2008 victory over Sexton - a result likewise achieved with a late stoppage.

Afterwards, Chisora said he was ready to step up a level as he looked towards his dream of winning the world title.

"Of course I want to get to world level and the only way to do that is improve yourself," he told Sky Box Office.

"I'm young, I'm getting better so I want to go on to world level - that's what I'm going to ask (promoter) Frank (Warren) for!"

MACCARINELLI IN KO SCARE

Enzo Maccarinelli needed emergency treatment in the ring after being knocked out in the seventh round of his European cruiserweight title fight with Germany's Alexander Frenkel.

Maccarinelli was knocked out cold in Birmingham and endured five worrying minutes on the canvas after referee Erkki Meronen had amazingly allowed the Welshman to continue after suffering an initial heavy knockdown.

Maccarinelli had crashed backwards from a Frenkel left hook and after clambering to his feet he still looked unsteady only for Meronen to wave in Frenkel who duly finished the job with another jolting left.

After receiving oxygen Maccarinelli was helped back to his corner where he was given an ovation by the crowd but will now have to come to terms with the fact his fighting career is over in all but name.

Maccarinelli had gone into the fight with high hopes of reclaiming a portion of the world cruiserweight crown after reeling off three straight first-round wins in response to a loss to Denis Lebedev in July last year.

And the way he started pushing his unbeaten opponent around the ring augured well until Frenkel, a renowned puncher with 17 early wins from his 22 bouts to date, proved he could withstand the Swansea man's best efforts.

Maccarinelli wobbled Frenkel with a right hand in the fourth round and also put him down in the fifth only for referee Meronen to rule a slip. He maintained his advantage with a sharp body shot in the sixth.

Maccarinelli was most likely still leading on the scorecards when the fight entered the seventh round but his dreams fell apart when he opened up to fling a left at the exact moment Frenkel hurled his first knock-down blow.

CLEVERLY STAYS UNBEATEN

Nathan Cleverly kept his unbeaten record intact with an impressive stoppage of Karo Murat in their world-title eliminator.

The Welsh light-heavyweight put on a fine display of front-foot fighting to become the first man to beat the German, a former European champion.

The fight was halted on doctors' advice just before the 10th round was about to start after Cleverly had battered his opponent.

Cleverly took to his significant step up in class with aplomb, dominating the one-paced Murat, who had arrived in the UK with an unbeaten record of his own and a reputation as something of a puncher.

But Cleverly's relentless pressure and well-picked shots saw him sail through the early rounds with right hands clattering home and surely hurting though rarely wobbling his rock-hard opponent.

So classy was Cleverly that his biggest danger was complacency and he was reminded of his task in the fifth round when for the first time Murat hit back with a succession of big shots of his own.

But Cleverly, who had built his record almost exclusively at domestic level, shrugged off the setback and bombed back in the sixth, raining in right hands to prompt referee Mark Nelson to take a long look at the German.

Cleverly ploughed on and stepped up the pace again the eighth when he bloodied Murat's nose with a right hand.

And after a brutal ninth, the doctor decided the bloodied Murat could not continue.

Rising star Cleverly, who has now won all 20 of his professional fights, is now in line for a shot at WBO title currently held by Juergen Braehmer.

Cleverly, who graduated with a maths degree earlier this year, may yet be awarded the WBO belt with reports suggesting Braehmer could be stripped of the title before the two have a chance to meet.

However, he remains confident of becoming world champion whatever officials decide.

"I'm still young, I've still got a few things to learn, I'm not naïve," he told Sky Box Office.

"But you know I keep on going back to the gym and I prepare for every opponent. It's a matter of bit by bit getting to the top. I predict in 18 months I think I can be undisputed light-heavyweight champion."[/b]

NIGHTMARE
NIGHTMARE

Back to top Go down

Boxings Magnificent Seven (Reports Saturday Nights Sky Box Office Boxing)  Empty Re: Boxings Magnificent Seven (Reports Saturday Nights Sky Box Office Boxing)

Post by hoolahoop Mon 20 Sep - 4:42:55

Thanks for the updates NIGHTY, sounds like our lads did ok........especially Degale. Very Happy
hoolahoop
hoolahoop

Back to top Go down