The Yorkshire Football Forums
Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gary Mcallister.........................

Go down

Gary Mcallister......................... Empty Gary Mcallister.........................

Post by ste303 Mon 18 Oct - 11:13:37

Excellent piece stolen (by way of FMTTM) from the comeonboro.com website

I'll start this week’s column by telling you that I spent Thursday evening at a Sportsman’s Dinner in Harrogate. Of all weeks, and of all events, it was a Leeds United Sportsman’s lunch, and I had to go to look after a few guests of the company I work for.

Free food, beer and a chit chat with a couple of Leeds United footballing legends. A Leeds fan's dream but only half a dream on my part, that half being the free beer and food part of course.

Article continues below...

My mood was heightened a little when I realised that joining left wing legend Eddie Gray would be ex-Liverpool, Leeds and Coventry star, and brief time Middlesbrough coach, Gary McAllister.

It seemed like a wonderful opportunity for a slightly tipsy, and very inquisitive ComeOnBoro.com writer to get the Scotsman’s views on the troubles at Boro.

Surrounded by a sea of Leeds United fans, time with the legend was difficult to get hold of. I did however manage to ask him a couple of questions, and his thoughts truly reiterated the thoughts that many of us have had.

He explained the reason’s behind his departure.

"The opportunity was something I couldn’t turn down, the chance to get back into the Premiership so soon was too tempting."

He then explained that the facilities at Villa are even more wonderful than the Boro’s describing them as "a massive step up in quality and a wonderful place to learn".

A massive pal of Gordon Strachan, I think I could have spoken to him all night and he wouldn’t have criticised his old pal, intentionally. The Scotsman was a gentleman and when I asked why the club had struggled, his answer was honest and frank.

He started by telling me that "the players brought in from Scotland never expected the league to be so difficult. Coming from Celtic and Rangers, like many of them have, they have had it relatively easy. Neither them, or Gordon, expected the gulf between the two leagues to be so big."

He then added, summing up; "They’ve struggled to adapt to this country. The pace and strength of the game is superior to Scotland and they’re having to adjust quickly. It’s just not working for them at the moment."

Now, I admit, that I had had a couple of Black Sheep and a wine or two at this point, so that may not be word perfect, but it’s as near as dammit.

It perhaps points towards my one concern when Strachan took over. He openly admitted that he hadn’t watched a game of Football since he left Celtic. He was out of touch with the game, he didn’t know the movers and shakers, and didn’t realise that an even greater gulf had emerged between the Scottish Premiership and the English Championship.

Mogga’s Best Mate
It was also slightly odd to see Peter Beagrie present at the event, a man many still see as a Judas of the club, but a man who is clearly still feeling the pain, not only of almost a quarter of a century of abuse from his own people, but from the club's current plight.

A member of the class of ‘86, but not a Boro Legend or Hero, Beagrie has had to contend with a lot of bashing from Boro fans, which has culminated in him giving a bit of a bashing back in his role as a pundit with SkySports.

His story is one for another time, but I was lucky enough to get a nice long chat with him about the Boro and where it has all gone wrong.

And like all Boro fans at the minute, he is looking at the top man, believing that Strachan is fighting a losing battle.

Beagrie claimed that the lads brought in by Wee Gordon are nowhere near good enough. Players like Chris Killen couldn’t get on the bench for Celtic he pointed out, and to make matters worse, Strachan’s blatant disregard for the media has earned him no favours or friends.

"Sometimes he is interviewed by 18-19 year old kids, just starting out in media, with no hidden agendas, and he patronises and dismisses them. He has no respect for the others around him."

This fact has been highlighted recently, with Strachan’s careless drug and drink statements causing uproar, whilst also giving the media more ammo to aim his way, while critiscism from Didier Digard would seem to back up this claim.

Beagrie was also highly critical of the transfer policy he has built.

"He’s sent players out on loan, and sold players, who are better than those he has brought in. The young left backs, Grounds and Taylor, Josh Walker. I’ve watched Walker a few times and he has always been a good performer. In one game I saw him play against Manchester United youth he was outstanding and absolutely outclassed everyone."

"Players like Thomson need to wise up to the English League quickly. He went into the Portsmouth game half fit, and received several heavy tackles but he didn’t protect himself at all. He left himself open to be bullied and he was."

He also told me that the sooner Strachan goes the better it will be for the club, and he hopes that his best mate and best man, Tony Mowbray should be given the chance to run the club. It would be a dream come true for Mogga, and although other ex-legends haven’t worked out well in the past, what have we got to lose?

Beagrie will be at the Riverside commenting on the game on Saturday for Sky, and it’ll be interesting to hear if his views are reflected in his comments on the TV.

Old rivalries reborn
Listening to Eddie Gray and Gary McAllister chat about Leeds United I began to realise just how intertwined our two clubs have been over the years.

Leeds Legend Jack Charlton is a Boro legend as manager, Boro born Don Revie is Leeds' greatest ever manager, Brian Clough ties the clubs, albeit after only a brief spell at Leeds. Boro’s relegation in 1996/97 was confirmed at Elland Road, with former Boro forward Brian Deane scoring the Leeds goal that day. Players like Deane, Danny Mills, Mark Viduka, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Adam Johnson have all turned out in the Red and the White in recent years.

Strachan himself undeniably creates an extra bit of spice in this game, while Simon Grayson was a member of the Leicester side who beat Boro in the League Cup final of 1996/97.

I was surprised by the reception I received as a Boro fan amongst Leeds ‘Dirties’. They were remarkably pleasant, although we were at a posh hotel in Harrogate, so I shouldn’t be too shocked. But after several years of awfulness, I think Leeds fans seemed to understand that throwing stones in glass houses isn’t a good idea.

They want to get back to the big time and to do that, every point counts. We’re exactly the same, and the same applies points wise.

And while McAllister doesn’t believe the players are good enough and Beagrie doesn’t believe the manager is good enough, as fans we have to believe, because if we let 4,500 Leeds fans out-sing us on Saturday, we may just be cutting off our noses to spite our face.

We all want success, regardless of who is in charge. I can see that in every Boro fans' eyes. I could see it in McAllister’s eyes; he wants his mate to be successful, and I could even see it in the eyes of a young man from North Ormsby who fulfilled his dream and played for Boro only to become an outcast - Peter Beagrie.

Let's keep the Red Flag flying high, because whoever is in charge, and whoever wears the shirt, this is our Boro, our Town and our pride at stake. It’s time to unite and bring the smile back to our football.

Up the Boro!
ste303
ste303
Boro Fan

Back to top Go down