The Yorkshire Football Forums
Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some positivity from the Post

4 posters

Go down

Some positivity from the Post Empty Some positivity from the Post

Post by Dan_the_Owl Sat 9 Jan - 22:45:12

From the Yorkshire Post;

IF ONE sacking this season highlighted the fickle, and often foolish, nature of football club chairmen it was Alan Irvine's by Preston North End.
The biggest beneficiary of this brutal act is now going to be Sheffield Wednesday who yesterday snapped up one of the game's most highly-respected managers.

Only six months ago, West Bromwich Albion, seeking an immediate return to the Premier League, had been willing to pay £1m for his services but Irvine showed loyalty to his employers and was duly slapped in the face.

Saving the club from relegation before steering it into the Championship play-offs counted for nothing as soon as results dipped for the first time.

According to Owls chairman Lee Strafford, Irvine's departure from Deepdale had less to do with performances on the field and more to do with personalities off it.

Preston's majority shareholder is Trevor Hemmings who owns racehorses with Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

As soon as Ferguson's son Darren was sacked as manager of Peterborough United, Hemmings was interested in giving him a job – Irvine's job as manager of Preston.

Peterborough's owner Barry Fry always felt that Ferguson had another job lined up – and made no secret of that theory when explaining the reasons behind his departure amid protests from fans.

Ferguson junior, meanwhile, added a further twist to the plot by throwing his name into the ring for the vacant manager's job at Hillsborough during an interview on Sky television.

Strafford insists that Ferguson was never offered anything by Wednesday and may have simply exploited the situation for his own advantage.

"The whole situation is strange and Darren Ferguson's comments on national television were strange," said Strafford yesterday. "Strange because he said he was 'interested' in our job but clearly was not. Maybe it was just part of his negotiations? He has gone to Preston because he was (always) going to Preston and Alan has lost his job because of that."

Irvine has emerged from the whole affair with his reputation firmly intact.

Any shock over his treatment at Deepdale has now been replaced by a delight at his new opportunity.

The Owls are surely a bigger club with a bigger stadium and far greater potential. A 'sleeping giant' as the old cliche goes.

Reflecting on events, Irvine said: "There were none of the usual signs. I had not been given the dreaded vote of confidence and the fans were fantastic with me. My last game in charge was a late defeat at Sheffield United and afterwards the chairman (Derek Shaw) spoke with me and felt we had been unfortunate. Obviously, the decision came completely out of the blue.

"It was a big disappointment and the first time I had ever been sacked in football," he added. "But I look back on my time there with great pride. People are writing nice things in the papers about Owen Coyle's win rate of 42 per cent at Burnley. Well mine was 'only' 41 per cent at Preston so that's where I must have gone wrong."

Irvine was born in Glagow and made the grade with Scottish Division Two side Queens Park before landing a move to Everton at the age of 23.

Although he was never a first-team regular, Irvine made 60 appearances for the Toffeemen during a three-year spell when they won the FA Cup and re-emerged as one of the top teams in the country under Howard Kendall.

He went on to play for Crystal Palace and Blackburn Rovers but was forced to retire early due to injury and moved into youth coaching at Ewood Park.

When Kenny Dalglish quit Blackburn and moved to Newcastle, Irvine followed as a coach and worked again with the youngsters. Such was his impact among those in the know that David Moyes – at the time a relative stranger – invited Irvine to be his assistant manager at Everton. The pair worked together for five years before Irvine landed his first managerial role at Preston.

It is difficult to find anyone in football with a bad word to say about the quietly spoken but steely-eyed Scot.

"We were very keen to speak to Alan when we learned that he had parted company with Preston because we probably would not have been able to afford the kind of compensation package West Brom offered for his services just a few months previously," said Strafford.

"He brings genuine pedigree and plenty of experience to Hillsborough."

Nice to see some positivity for once, I think this article reinforces that we're fortunate to have Irvine on board. He's got a good pedigree, and has clearly been thought highly of wherever he's been. Also interesting the claims regarding Darren Ferguson, and how he was possibly using us as leverage and how the PNE job was waiting for him.
Dan_the_Owl
Dan_the_Owl

Back to top Go down

Some positivity from the Post Empty Re: Some positivity from the Post

Post by East Yorks Rover Sat 9 Jan - 23:36:56

I think, for once, the Wendies have made a good decision. Irvine should never have lost his job, PNE were always a hard team to play, and to get them into the playoffs last year with not massive spending shows some degree of competancy as a manager doesn't it? He might have even less to spend at Hillsborough, but I am sure he will keep you up. The only other one you might have poached has stats like this:

April 2000 31 May 2000 win % 66.7
December 2001 30 August 2006 47.3
October 2006 30 April 2009 43.5
30 April 2009 23.8
Not bad really.......Dave Penny
East Yorks Rover
East Yorks Rover
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan_the_Owl Sun 10 Jan - 2:09:04

East Yorks Rover wrote:I think, for once, the Wendies have made a good decision. Irvine should never have lost his job, PNE were always a hard team to play, and to get them into the playoffs last year with not massive spending shows some degree of competancy as a manager doesn't it?

It does for me. The first thing he tried to stress at his press conference yesterday was that he would try to make us 'hard to play', as you mentioned. Making us a stuffy side, and an awkward fixture for other sides will be crucial to our survival.
Dan_the_Owl
Dan_the_Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wednesday Sun 10 Jan - 3:29:24

I'll post my response to Alan Irvine in this thread.

I think it's a very good appointment, one that I am very pleased with. He seems to have the fighting attitude that we desperately need right now. Seeing his interviews he appears extremely happy to be here and ready for the big job at hand, he is under no illusions of the task ahead.

I'm not changing my opinion on the decision to sack Laws, I still think it was wrong, however I am not going to be one of the people who jumps on the manager's back before he's even met the players. I'm sure Alan Irvine will do a very good job at Sheffield Wednesday, I just hope our chairman doesn't get carried away with our ability again.

Good luck Mr Irvine.
The Wednesday
The Wednesday
Wednesday Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoop Sun 10 Jan - 3:49:21

The Wednesday wrote:I'll post my response to Alan Irvine in this thread.

I think it's a very good appointment, one that I am very pleased with. He seems to have the fighting attitude that we desperately need right now. Seeing his interviews he appears extremely happy to be here and ready for the big job at hand, he is under no illusions of the task ahead.

I'm not changing my opinion on the decision to sack Laws, I still think it was wrong, however I am not going to be one of the people who jumps on the manager's back before he's even met the players. I'm sure Alan Irvine will do a very good job at Sheffield Wednesday, I just hope our chairman doesn't get carried away with our ability again.

Good luck Mr Irvine.

It is as I said earlier a good appointment, whether he'll have the time and/or the resources to dig you out this season is open to question . Good luck but not against us............we want all 6 points off you this season and definitely 3 from the Dingles (that's our main priority Smile ).
hoolahoop
hoolahoop

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wednesday Sun 10 Jan - 3:52:17

hoolahoop wrote:

It is as I said earlier a good appointment, whether he'll have the time and/or the resources to dig you out this season is open to question . Good luck but not against us............we want all 6 points off you this season and definitely 3 from the Dingles (that's our main priority Smile ).

He'll get time, not sure about resources, but time is one thing he'll certainly be given.

6 points from us, that a joke? Irvine's gonna get ya.
The Wednesday
The Wednesday
Wednesday Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by East Yorks Rover Sun 10 Jan - 4:12:39

Your cup final is coming soon Wednesday, February. By then i expect Rovers to be about 10th. Where you will be depends on whether your players want a contract from Mr. Irvine, I suspect he might heave a bit of a clear out if he can generate some money for transfers. Very Happy
East Yorks Rover
East Yorks Rover
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoop Sun 10 Jan - 4:25:16

East Yorks Rover wrote:Your cup final is coming soon Wednesday, February. By then i expect Rovers to be about 10th. Where you will be depends on whether your players want a contract from Mr. Irvine, I suspect he might heave a bit of a clear out if he can generate some money for transfers. Very Happy

'I suspect he might heave', was this a deliberate error at his reaction when seeing the players he has to work with ? If so ........love it! lol! lol! lol! lol!
hoolahoop
hoolahoop

Back to top Go down

Post by East Yorks Rover Sun 10 Jan - 4:28:39

Ooops! Freudian slip maybe Hoola, or just crap typing as usual. lol!
East Yorks Rover
East Yorks Rover
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoop Sun 10 Jan - 4:40:44

East Yorks Rover wrote:Ooops! Freudian slip maybe Hoola, or just crap typing as usual. lol!

I would like to think this was a Freudian slip based on the relative positions of these 2 letters on the keyboard ; anyway it made me laugh. lol!
hoolahoop
hoolahoop

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wednesday Sun 10 Jan - 4:49:02

East Yorks Rover wrote:Your cup final is coming soon Wednesday, February. By then i expect Rovers to be about 10th. Where you will be depends on whether your players want a contract from Mr. Irvine, I suspect he might heave a bit of a clear out if he can generate some money for transfers. Very Happy

The United game isn't until April. You never know with this division.

I think there's a fair few players out of contract in the summer, so he's very welcome to heave as much of a clear-out as he wishes. Jeffers and Clarke should be first on the list.
The Wednesday
The Wednesday
Wednesday Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down