The Yorkshire Football Forums
Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Denis O'Brien - The New Rich Director/Investor?

5 posters

Go down

Denis O'Brien - The New Rich Director/Investor? Empty Denis O'Brien - The New Rich Director/Investor?

Post by SkellowRover Wed 5 Oct - 17:03:11

I said last week that a new investor had joined the club but the director i was speaking to refused to divulge a name but said our future was safe and looked healthy and that everything would come out in the wash in the near future, well here's something i've posted on the VSC seeing as though it's in the public realm now................

Footballs latest rich list has been published today and on they were talking about the richest owners on Sky Sports News and up popped the name Denis O'Brien who is worth £2.517bn who owns a stake in Celtic but is also on the board of directors at Doncaster Rovers.
I've never heard of the guy and there is no mention of his name in any official directors list of the club that i can find, so does this mean he's the new money man and the board of directors on DROS and everywhere else hasn't been updated yet?

Anyway here's what it says in the fourfourtwo rich list report about him....
Denis O'Brien £2.517bn

Celtic, Doncaster Rovers (Last year £1.87bn, 7th)

Irish entrepreneur Denis O'Brien has a 2.82% stake in Celtic and is also a director of Doncaster Rovers. Obviously, football hasn't made him rich: that would be his wise moves in the telecoms industry. He started by winning a local radio licence in 1989 for Dublin; two years later he established Esat Telecom, which became the first company to compete against former state-owned telephone company Eircom.
He also established Esat Digifone and won Ireland's second GSM license, to compete against the then state-owned telephone company's mobile section, Eircell. In 2000 O'Brien sold Esat Telecom to BT for $2.9 billion, collecting £175m for his stake. He then launched Digicel, a Caribbean-based mobile company now worth £1.6 billion after debt. That dwarfs his £1m stake in Celtic, as do other assets including the £36m Quinta do Largo golf resort in Portugal and a 21.6% stake in Irish News & Media.

Here's the full top 100 : http://fourfourtwo.com/lists/thefootballrichlist201112thefull100.aspx

So we now have:
#7 Denis O'Brien £2.517bn
#24 Terry Brammall £425m
#50 Dick Watson £95m
#82 John Ryan £28m
SkellowRover
SkellowRover
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Denis O'Brien - The New Rich Director/Investor? Empty Re: Denis O'Brien - The New Rich Director/Investor?

Post by Dagenham Rover Wed 5 Oct - 17:48:45

According to the vsc its sort of a throwback to the days of Richardson/Westferry etc the current DRFC trades under Patienceform Ltd as opposed to Doncaster Rovers fc ltd which is the one Mr O'Brien is a director of
Dagenham Rover
Dagenham Rover
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Denis O'Brien - The New Rich Director/Investor? Empty Re: Denis O'Brien - The New Rich Director/Investor?

Post by pkt_drfc Wed 5 Oct - 18:18:46

Well as usual the VSC are pulling it apart Skellow
pkt_drfc
pkt_drfc
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by SkellowRover Wed 5 Oct - 18:20:47

Like i said on the VSC......

If that is the case why hasn't he been linked with us in previous rich lists?

Check out last years forinstance fourfourtwo.com/lists/richlist200910thefull100.aspx he's #6

This needs clearing up either way because if is based on the Westferry boyout then 442 need to say this as it just makes it look like he is on our board.
SkellowRover
SkellowRover
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by SkellowRover Wed 5 Oct - 18:22:20

It might not be him, like i said i wasn't told a name but this has really intrigued me. Why say he's a director this year and not in previous years? One way or another it needs clearing up officially, not by the naysayers of the VSC.
SkellowRover
SkellowRover
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by pkt_drfc Wed 5 Oct - 18:33:37

Well i trust your info as what you have said before to me times are looking good as said this needs to be clarified soon
pkt_drfc
pkt_drfc
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkie64red Wed 5 Oct - 19:07:57

I have heard that name from somewhere...god knows where...interesting like skellow says that his name has just appeared he certainly wasn't there last year...if it is true and it is looking that way then we have one hell of a wealthy board....thanks for that skellow...with JR on dee daa tommorow night hopefully we will have some of these things confirmed...
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkie64red Wed 5 Oct - 19:36:03

SkellowRover wrote:It might not be him, like i said i wasn't told a name but this has really intrigued me. Why say he's a director this year and not in previous years? One way or another it needs clearing up officially, not by the naysayers of the VSC.

Thats what i can't abide about the Vsc...they love to belittle what people say unless they are part of a select clique... No
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkie64red Thu 6 Oct - 3:10:16

I see that the piece about o Brien has been retracted from the 442 site at the request of Doncaster Rovers...
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

Post by pkt_drfc Thu 6 Oct - 3:18:19

Yep caused a bit of a stir today but we do need answers and i am sure we will get them tomorrow when JR is on the radio
pkt_drfc
pkt_drfc
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoop Thu 6 Oct - 3:25:10

Yep DRFC Ltd. and Patienceform are entirely different companies but may have a connection still.
Either way and for whatever reason Rovers are suddenly able to access some half decent (if not troublesome) players from top Championshim and Prem. clubs under DS. Prior to the last couple of weeks we were only able to attract fringe players from the same teams.
We just have to suck it and see.......even if we haven't got a clue what the hell we are eating. Smile
hoolahoop
hoolahoop

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoop Thu 6 Oct - 3:26:55

pkt_drfc wrote:Yep caused a bit of a stir today but we do need answers and i am sure we will get them tomorrow when JR is on the radio

It could be an interesting interview tonight but I doubt whether we will be any the wiser afterwards Pete. scratch
hoolahoop
hoolahoop

Back to top Go down

Post by pkt_drfc Thu 6 Oct - 3:28:22

He is on tomorrow 6:15
pkt_drfc
pkt_drfc
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoop Thu 6 Oct - 3:38:34

pkt_drfc wrote:He is on tomorrow 6:15

Thanks for the 'heads up' Pete , I thought I had read that it was tonight somewhere. Embarassed
hoolahoop
hoolahoop

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down