The Yorkshire Football Forums
Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sheffield

+2
yorkie64red
The Wednesday
6 posters

Go down

Sheffield Empty Sheffield

Post by The Wednesday Mon 26 Oct - 4:37:45

You don't realise how big this place is until you're driving and lost Embarassed

Bear with me, this is a long story:

I don't know how well people here know Sheffield (probably better than me), but yesterday I was coming home (I live near Crystal Peaks) from near Bramall Lane, I ended up in a wrong lane so went straight on to Heeley when I should've turned left. I don't know Heeley well but thought i'd be ok.

I then ended up at Millhouses Park, still didn't panic as i've been there many times.

I then went on to Totley, began panicking a lot, followed a sign to Dronfield, missed another sign to Dronfield, ended up in Holmesfield which down all these narrow country roads, I felt like I was in the middle on nowhere. I then turned around, went back through the narrow country roads, missed the sign for Dronfield again, went in a full circle around a housing estate, and when I came out I managed to follow the Dronfield sign.

I realised I was low on petrol, so I parked in the petrol station, and realised I didn't have my purse. Luckily I had a few quid on me, so I put £6.25 worth of petrol in my car.

After this I was pretty much fine as at the bottom of the road I saw Sheffield F.C's ground, so I was able to find my way home.

A journey back from Bramall Lane usually takes about 25 minutes, it took me 1 hour 15 minutes.

When I told my parents this they found it hilarious, but maybe you had to be there.

Anyone else got some funny driving stories?
The Wednesday
The Wednesday
Wednesday Fan

Back to top Go down

Sheffield Empty Re: Sheffield

Post by yorkie64red Mon 26 Oct - 5:04:10

The Wednesday wrote:You don't realise how big this place is until you're driving and lost Sheffield Icon_redface

I don't know how well people here know Sheffield (probably better than me), but yesterday I was coming home (I live near Crystal Peaks) from near Bramall Lane, I ended up in a wrong lane so went straight on to Heeley when I should've turned left. I don't know Heeley well but thought i'd be ok.

I then ended up at Millhouses Park, still didn't panic as i've been there many times.

I then went on to Totley, began panicking a lot, followed a sign to Dronfield, missed another sign to Dronfield, ended up in Holmesfield which down all these narrow country roads, I felt like I was in the middle on nowhere. I then turned around, went back through the narrow country roads, missed the sign for Dronfield again, went in a full circle around a housing estate, and when I came out I managed to follow the Dronfield sign.

I realised I was low on petrol, so I parked in the petrol station, and realised I didn't have my purse. Luckily I had a few quid on me, so I put £6.25 worth of petrol in my car.

After this I was pretty much fine as at the bottom of the road I saw Sheffield F.C's ground, so I was able to find my way home.

A journey back from Bramall Lane usually takes about 25 minutes, it took me 1 hour 15 minutes.

When I told my parents this they found it hilarious, but maybe you had to be there.

If you had been in the middle of nowhere you would most certainly have gone too far, you would have reached Barnsley Sheffield Affraid
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wednesday Mon 26 Oct - 5:09:59

yorkie64red wrote:If you had been in the middle of nowhere you would most certainly have gone too far, you would have reached Barnsley Sheffield Affraid

Sheffield 12
The Wednesday
The Wednesday
Wednesday Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shem_Swfc Mon 26 Oct - 5:19:20

i remember going to a Wednesday game last season, and we were late so the Hallam Fm Car park was full. All down that road was full, so we drove on towards Burger King, which was also full. We carried on going, found a spot quite far away from the ground. We saw a bunch of people wearing Wednesday shirts, so we presumed they were going to the ground.

They weren't. We ended up following them to the pub, getting lost and missing the game.

We got tickets free for the next home game from SWFC though.
Shem_Swfc
Shem_Swfc

Back to top Go down

Post by NIGHTMARE Mon 26 Oct - 6:40:16

The Wednesday wrote:You don't realise how big this place is until you're driving and lost Embarassed

Bringing back memory's of when they first started out on the road i bet

ive only been driving a few months myself even though i'm in mi late 20s but ive got a really good sence or direction so i ant been lost yet
even though ive been to a few away games in the car .

i will give you one tip though if you get lost at this time of year like you did yesterday and run out of petrol or brake down (i have a old car with it been my first so there's a chance it could brake down ) you could freeze to death especially on narrow country roads, in the middle of nowhere. so stick one of your dads old coats in the boot or a big warm blanket or both .

I have one of theses
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EMERGENCY-INSULATING-SILVER-BLANKET-Retains-Body-Heat_W0QQitemZ120478237993QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c0d100529#ht_1536wt_1163
NIGHTMARE
NIGHTMARE

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkie64red Mon 26 Oct - 6:45:00

Nightmare wrote:
The Wednesday wrote:You don't realise how big this place is until you're driving and lost Sheffield Icon_redface

Bringing back memory's of when they first started out on the road i bet

ive only been driving a few months myself even though i'm in mi late 20s but ive got a really good sence or direction so i ant been lost yet

i will give you one tip though if you get lost at this time of year like you did yesterday and run out of petrol or brake down (i have a old car with it been my first so there's a chance it could brake down ) you could freeze to death especially on narrow country roads, in the middle of nowhere. so stick one of your dads old coats in the boot or a big warm blanket or both .

I have one of theses
[url=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EMERGENCY-INSULATING-SILVER-BLANKET-Retains-Body-Heat_W0QQitemZ120478237993QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c0d100529#ht_1536wt_1163
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EMERGENCY-INSULATING-SILVER-BLANKET-Retains-Body-Heat_W0QQitemZ120478237993QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c0d100529#ht_1536wt_1163[/quote[/url]]

Is it that bleak in barnsley... Sheffield Icon_razz only joking good advice as winter is setting in..
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wednesday Mon 26 Oct - 6:45:51

Nightmare wrote:Bringing back memory's of when they first started out on the road i bet

I have one of theses
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EMERGENCY-INSULATING-SILVER-BLANKET-Retains-Body-
Heat_W0QQitemZ120478237993QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c0d100529#ht_1488wt_1163

Probably Very Happy

How come you didn't start when you were younger? Saying that i've seen loads of 'older' people learning to drive.

Cheers for the advice, i've been meaning to put something warm in there but keep forgetting. I'm sure my dad will have something though as you say.
The Wednesday
The Wednesday
Wednesday Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by NIGHTMARE Mon 26 Oct - 6:52:44

The Wednesday wrote:

How come you didn't start when you were younger? Saying that i've seen loads of 'older' people learning to drive.

Cheers for the advice, i've been meaning to put something warm in there but keep forgetting. I'm sure my dad will have something though as you say.

Never really needed to drive and the money it would cost to learn and have a car was better spent on beer and football
ive grown up a bit now though
NIGHTMARE
NIGHTMARE

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wednesday Mon 26 Oct - 6:56:24

Nightmare wrote:Never really needed to drive and the money it would cost to learn and have a car was better spent on beer and football
ive grown up a bit now though

Sheffield 3
The Wednesday
The Wednesday
Wednesday Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by diggerman Mon 26 Oct - 8:14:18

There's a really big housing estate in Teesside called Ingleby Barwick.
It's all fairly new , and (to me) it all looks the same. I liken it to Milton Keynes in that respect.
Anyway , i used to deliver pizzas on an evening , and getting a delivery in Ingleby was a nightmare.
Honestly , i'd be driving round AND ROUND the estate for ages (food gettin colder) , til i'd eventually realise that i'd passed the same pub a few times.
Then , after i'd eventually delivered the food , finding my way out of the estate and trying to retrace my route was just as bad.
diggerman
diggerman
Boro Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shem_Swfc Mon 26 Oct - 8:15:06

You should have left bit of Pepperoni on the paths.... Very Happy
Shem_Swfc
Shem_Swfc

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoop Mon 26 Oct - 8:47:14

I didn't start driving until I was in my late 20's, again like nightmare I had neither the need nor the finances.
As for the Sheffield thing , I have been driving to that city on and off for 20 odd years even working there and still bloody get lost frequently.
I tried to find West St. once for a 'do' (an area well known to me and locals). However there were loads of roadworks and it took over 3 hours for me to find it with all the diversions......a journey that would usually take less than an hour! Needless to say it was almost time to come home once I'd arrived. Sad
hoolahoop
hoolahoop

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down