The Yorkshire Football Forums
Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Patrick Cryne owner of Barnsley F C

2 posters

Go down

Patrick Cryne owner of Barnsley F C Empty Patrick Cryne owner of Barnsley F C

Post by NIGHTMARE Mon 30 Nov - 6:16:10

http://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/page/New...889402,00.html

A REFEREE'S job is a tough one.

I know because many years ago I took the referees' examinations at Sheffield and Hallamshire FA and turned out to officiate in games in the local leagues.I can't claim to have been an outstanding performer with the whistle and after a few seasons I gave it up to spend more time on developing a career that suited my real talents and would give me a living.

Being a referee now of course can be a career in itself, but how do you flourish and get noticed so that you can make it your main source of secure earnings?

My fear with the modern game is that officials feel under pressure to show that they can make the "big decision" during the course of a game as a means of proving themselves able to be a career referee.

Sometimes it appears as though making a "big decision" is more important that making the right decision.

Last Saturday the referee at Plymouth made a "big decision", justifying it by reference to ensuring player safety.That motive is laudable of course but where was the evidence of the players' safety being at risk?

There were few fouls during the course of the game and little if any presence on the field by the physios.If player safety was paramount, then one might have expected that the referee would have shared his concerns with the managers and players at half time (or at any time), but he did not.

Instead, he took the decision to abandon the game without reference, making it a "big decision" on his part.At the time he took his decision, playing conditions were difficult but not impossible particularly if compared with the conditions at our match with Southend in the FA Cup in January 2007 where the referee played the match to a finish even after the point of farce had arrived.

On Saturday, Barnsley were coping in the conditions and looked like adding to their goal tally at the time the referee decided on abandonment.Of course had the referee played on rather than abandoning the game when he did, he may have been forced to make the decision to call it off some ten to 15 minutes later when the rain took on the proportions of a full-on monsoon.Had he abandoned at that time, then the decision might well have been right and accepted by all, but then it would have not been a "big decision".

The consequences of his "big decision" prejudices only Barnsley and its players.

The absurdity of the abandonment means that Anderson de Silva has not served out his suspension, because it was a non-match, but perversely the yellow card picked up in the Plymouth game by Nathan Doyle does count resulting in his suspension for the Blackpool game.

So we lost three points that seemed assured; our fans have to endure the cost of an aborted game and the replaying of one of the most distant matches on our calendar and we are two players down for the Blackpool game.

But that's OK, because the referee got to make his "big decision" and move his career onward and upward and wrap his decision in cloak of protecting the players.There is an irony in there that would not be lost on Iain Hume
NIGHTMARE
NIGHTMARE

Back to top Go down

Patrick Cryne owner of Barnsley F C Empty Re: Patrick Cryne owner of Barnsley F C

Post by Terrier2009 Mon 30 Nov - 6:22:04

This seems to be showing a lot of sense!!! I assume that the majority of fans also feel like this! Smile

Terrier2009

Back to top Go down