The Yorkshire Football Forums
Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clean slate for Jeffers and Sodje?

5 posters

Go down

Clean slate for Jeffers and Sodje? Empty Clean slate for Jeffers and Sodje?

Post by Dan_the_Owl Wed 13 Jan - 5:22:49

From the Star again. Irvine hinting that Jeffers and Sodje will be given a chance to win a place in the side, and more tired guff from Chris Turner. Rolling Eyes

Fresh start beckons for Jeffers and Sodje while Irvine assesses squad
By Ian Appleyard

SHEFFIELD Wednesday strikers Francis Jeffers and Akpo Sodje will be given the opportunity to push for a first-team recall this week by new manager Alan Irvine.
Jeffers has not started a league game since the opening day of the season and was transfer- listed by former manager Brian Laws after a red card for violent conduct in the Carling Cup.

Sodje has just returned from a two-month spell on loan at Charlton and will be out of contract in the summer.

Irvine, who is preparing for his first game in charge of the Owls against Barnsley on Saturday, said: "Everybody here will be given an opportunity to get in the team. If they do well, they will stay in the team regardless of where they are in terms of their contract."

Chairman Lee Strafford has been working hard to secure new investment for the Owls but nothing has been promised or guaranteed.

Irvine knows that he may have to work purely with the players already at his disposal to lift the Owls out of the Championship relegation zone.

"I have had no assurances as yet and there is still some way to go in terms of getting the investment," said Irvine.

"At this moment, I am simply concentrating on what we have got. I am aware we will have to do a little bit of buying and selling to make any changes."

Former Owls manager Chris Turner, meanwhile, has warned Irvine of the pitfalls in attempting to bring back the glory years at Hillsborough.

Turner, now in charge at Hartlepool, was sacked after two years as Wednesday manager in 2004 after failing to steer them out of League One.

"I'm delighted they've gone and got Alan in," he said. "He's a great football man and a likeable person. He's also got all the right credentials to do the job.

"The only problem is, if the club don't get significant investment Alan will find it very difficult. He needs big financial help to get them challenging at the top of the Championship.

"It's such a high-pressure stadium to play in week-in, week-out and the players you can afford on their budget cannot handle that situation. He will have to wheel and deal in the market, bring in free transfers and those players can't handle having to perform like Premier League players in front of 20,000 to 25,000."
Dan_the_Owl
Dan_the_Owl

Back to top Go down

Clean slate for Jeffers and Sodje? Empty Re: Clean slate for Jeffers and Sodje?

Post by Dan_the_Owl Wed 13 Jan - 5:29:11

With Jeffers not going to be moved until the summer, and Charlton only wanting to loan Sodje until the end of the season despite us only looking to sell, it seems reasonable that Irvine will want to give both a chance at some point. They certainly cannot contribute any less than they have already done this season. Worth a try I reckon, but I won't be getting my hopes up.
Dan_the_Owl
Dan_the_Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by Barnsleytilidie Wed 13 Jan - 6:33:26

Would be daft if Irvine didn't at least assess all the assets available to him!.....Stranger things have happened than the possible rejuvenation of a player such as Jeffers?.....He was class in his youth at Everton!....you don't lose natural ability!...Mebbe Irvine can bring the best out of him?
Barnsleytilidie
Barnsleytilidie
Pride Of Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoop Wed 13 Jan - 7:27:42

Barnsleytilidie wrote:Would be daft if Irvine didn't at least assess all the assets available to him!.....Stranger things have happened than the possible rejuvenation of a player such as Jeffers?.....He was class in his youth at Everton!....you don't lose natural ability!...Mebbe Irvine can bring the best out of him?

I would agree with that , there was plenty of talent there before..........it doesn't just disappear does it ? Sounds like a different regime could possibly rejuvenate (damn big word again!) his career.
hoolahoop
hoolahoop

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan_the_Owl Wed 13 Jan - 7:43:18

Barnsleytilidie wrote:He was class in his youth at Everton!....you don't lose natural ability!...Mebbe Irvine can bring the best out of him?

Problem though BTID, is that he went off the boil long before Brian Laws bought him. That loss of form coupled with those glass ankles he has have made him a liability. I'm not sure any manager is capable of rejuvenating (thanks Hoola Cool ) him at this stage, but given what we have at our disposal, especially up front where goals have been desperately hard to come by in recent months, it can't possibly hurt to try.
Dan_the_Owl
Dan_the_Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wednesday Thu 14 Jan - 0:13:23

I think Dan and I said when Sodje left for Charlton that it would be a good move for us regardless of whether he stays or returns.

If he stayed we would've got a transfer fee, and now he's returning we get an 80% fit Akpo Sodje who's scored a few goals recently. Sodje's shown on occasions that he can score goals (Burnley, Southampton) so if he can reproduce that form and stay fit we could have a decent Championship striker.

As for Jeffers I see no reason why we shouldn't play him if necessary while he's here, however if we are to get an offer in this window we should accept anything just to get him off the books. I'd rather see Tudgay, Clarke, Sodje and Varney (if he returns) given a chance under Irvine, ahead of Jeffers since he's already had plenty of opportunities.
The Wednesday
The Wednesday
Wednesday Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by MR NEGATIVE Thu 14 Jan - 6:23:15

Make sure your 500th post is a special one WEDNESDAY!!!
MR NEGATIVE
MR NEGATIVE
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan_the_Owl Thu 14 Jan - 9:23:34

Sodje certainly can't be any worse than what we've had up front while he's been gone. And sadly I think we can forget getting Jeffers off the wage bill before the summer. It would be nice if he could perhaps contribute just one memorable positive moment before then...but I won't be holding my breath.

roversboy4lyf wrote:Make sure your 500th post is a special one WEDNESDAY!!!

What he said! Cool
Dan_the_Owl
Dan_the_Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down