The Yorkshire Football Forums
Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ODDS A JOKE

+5
Dale BFC
NIGHTMARE
LEEDSLAD/03/01/2010
yorkie64red
pkt_drfc
9 posters

Go down

ODDS A JOKE Empty ODDS A JOKE

Post by pkt_drfc Fri 25 Jun - 1:31:34

JOHN Ryan reckons the bookies' odds are a joke after they made Doncaster Rovers one of the favourites for relegation next season.

No sooner was the fixture list issued last week than William Hill published their betting prices for the forthcoming campaign.

And, although Rovers finished in the top half of the table last year, the bookmakers rate them joint third favourites to go down!

Hills list Scunthorpe as 15/8 relegation favourites followed by Crystal Palace at 2/1 with Rovers grouped with Watford and Barnsley, all at 7/2, as the most likely to accompany them down to League One.

Moneybags Queen's Park Rangers and relegated Burnley are joint promotion favourites at 11/4 followed by Cardiff, Reading, Middlesbrough and Nottingham Forest - all rated at 7/2 to go up.

Rovers are 50/1 to win the Championship and 14/1 for promotion.

The Rovers chairman said: "The bookmakers don't seem to have cottoned on to the fact that ten teams finished below us in our first season in the Championship and last season we were actually in the top half of the table.

"One of the teams below us, in fact, was Queen's Park Rangers!

"In fairness the bookies don't often get it wrong and I'm quite pleased with how they rate us.

"They had Blackpool in the same position last season - and look what happened to them."

Ryan added: "It's all a bit of a joke but seriously I don't have a problem with the odds.

"We are still perceived as a small club with a fan base that is dwarfed by most teams in the division.

"But our loyal supporters are magnificent, the team play the best football in the Championship and we have a manager who is one of the best in the country."

Next week could be an important week for Rovers with manager Sean O'Driscoll, and Ryan, returning from separate holidays at the weekend.

It could lead to increased activity in the transfer market with the Billy Sharp saga likely to be resolved one way or the other.

Burnley are reported to be confident of signing the Sheffield United striker but Rovers still do not appear to have given up hope after making a club record bid amounting to around £1 million.

* Rovers have announced a new three year deal for sportswear giants Nike to become their kit suppliers with immediate effect.

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/free-press-sport/Bookies-odds-are-a-joke.6382485.jp
pkt_drfc
pkt_drfc
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

ODDS A JOKE Empty Re: ODDS A JOKE

Post by yorkie64red Fri 25 Jun - 1:34:54

Let tem think it, we have proved them wrong time and time again.. Smile
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

Post by LEEDSLAD/03/01/2010 Fri 25 Jun - 1:56:15

I was laughing me head off when a saw we was 5th favorites to go up!!!
LEEDSLAD/03/01/2010
LEEDSLAD/03/01/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkie64red Fri 25 Jun - 2:09:08

LEEDSLAD/03/01/2010 wrote:I was laughing me head off when a saw we was 5th favorites to go up!!!

Like i say they never get em right... lol!
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

Post by NIGHTMARE Fri 25 Jun - 3:10:37

it makes a change for us not to be favs at the start of the season
NIGHTMARE
NIGHTMARE

Back to top Go down

Post by Dale BFC Fri 25 Jun - 4:30:48

Hahaha. "It's all a bit of a joke but seriously I don't have a problem with the odds"

But i'll have a rant about it anyway Laughing what a tit.

R+R
Dale BFC
Dale BFC
Barnsley Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by BantamValley Fri 25 Jun - 5:26:22

They had us 2nd favourites for Promotion from League 2 and look what happened... Rolling Eyes

Only one of the top 3 favourites actually went up!

It's not often I pay attention to the bookies, but it was pleasing last year to be 2nd favourites for promotion. Smile (Keep in mind though... LEAGUE 2 Rolling Eyes )
BantamValley
BantamValley

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoop Fri 25 Jun - 6:24:56

Dale BFC wrote:Hahaha. "It's all a bit of a joke but seriously I don't have a problem with the odds"

But i'll have a rant about it anyway Laughing what a tit.

R+R

That's because he's going to ''lump on'' fella. The odds for both out teams are ridiculous, he's not ranting he's rubbing his hands. lol! lol! lol!
Incidentally if you had ever met the man , you would realise the last thing he is ..........is a tit. Sorts them out for folk but isn't one himself.
hoolahoop
hoolahoop

Back to top Go down

Post by NIGHTMARE Fri 25 Jun - 8:34:40

I'm not saying this on the wind up it's just a feeling i have

I think you will find it hard this season if you lose your manager and i also think your season depends on what sheff utd do early doors if they start shite sod could end up at the lane and that would set you back a fair bit you'll find it hard to get a manager that can do what hes done
NIGHTMARE
NIGHTMARE

Back to top Go down

Post by pkt_drfc Fri 25 Jun - 9:09:39

NIGHTMARE wrote:I'm not saying this on the wind up it's just a feeling i have

I think you will find it hard this season if you lose your manager and i also think your season depends on what sheff utd do early doors if they start shite sod could end up at the lane and that would set you back a fair bit you'll find it hard to get a manager that can do what hes done

What and dingles will not find it hard i can not see robins still being at your club come the end of season. We get this all the time blah blah and f**king blah you can not really stand donny can you Nightmare. I forget dingles are going to be top of the league come the end of the season
pkt_drfc
pkt_drfc
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by VixDRFC Fri 25 Jun - 9:17:24

Nightmare

I agree we could lose O'Driscoll, but I'm not convinced it will be to Sheff Utd. I'm not convinced they're prepared or able to splash the cash! And I think JR will bring the perfect follow up in if that happens. At end of day most people went 'who?' when sod came in Wink

The "beauty" (or not) of the situation is if sod loses 10 games on the trot he will still have a job and chance to turn it around - can Barnsley say the same? I thought Robins had a great start but (and no wind up Wink ) he didn't follow up - even with his choice of loan players. So what happens if that continues with his first choice signings?

VixDRFC
VixDRFC
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by NIGHTMARE Fri 25 Jun - 9:45:47

With Barnsley they backed davey to the hilt 80% of our fans where calling for his head 9 month before he was sacked and the board still gave him time , Robins gave most teams in this league a 5 game start last season and still got us safe by march the team then dropped off . when they thought the job was done he only brought 3 players in last season for long loan spells and all 3 where in our top 5 performers of the season
NIGHTMARE
NIGHTMARE

Back to top Go down

Post by Upwind Fri 25 Jun - 18:43:44

I can see a resurgence of all of the Yorkshire teams within the Championship this year and with all the derby games on offer, it looks to be an exciting season.

I think that in O'Driscoll we have a manager who is able to work in the 'real world' and within a budget. He uses the resources available to him and has managed to unearth some gems who have been sold for profit and provided the club with a little more financial clout (although the emphasis is on the little). We are still a small fish in a big pond; however, we have been progressed steadily and within the financial constrains imposed by the Chairman - a man with the vision and prudence to ensure that progress doesn't risk the very existence of the club.

I hope all Yorkshire teams do well (behind Donny) and that all survive the drop - even Leeds..............

Upwind
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down