The Yorkshire Football Forums
Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE.

This forum was set up on the 5th of September 2009 in order to give Yorkshire football fans a place to come and interact with fellow fans of all 10 league clubs in our county.

We operate a controlled environment, with each team having their own forum and moderator, to ensure everyone has equal rights. The main reason this forum was set up, was to allow its members the freedom to express themselves without the restraints some other 'multi-club' forums adopt.

However, abuse of other members will not be tolerated. Please keep discussions civil. If you are not prepared to behave appropiately, please don't register. Friendly banter between rival clubs is encouraged, personal abuse towards other members will result in a permanent ban.

Some sections of this forum are restricted to members, so to enjoy the full benefits of the site please register. Registered users also enjoy this website without the advertisements at the top of the page.

THANK YOU for visiting THE PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE and we hope to see you posting here in the future.

Phil
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Blades view of todays game

+3
superspy
VixDRFC
yorkie64red
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A Blades view of todays game Empty A Blades view of todays game

Post by yorkie64red Sun 4 Oct - 7:48:31

Taken from a Blades Forum.

Sheffield United were yet again unable to make use of home advantage as they drew yet again at Bramall Lane against a poor Doncaster Rovers side. The Blades were improved from the poor performance in the week but they were still far from impressive and poor final balls, wayward shooting and indecision in the final third cost them the victory. After United had started the season well; they have now only won one game in the last 5 despite playing some of the lower ranked sides in the division. Today they will feel that they have thrown away 2 points as they controlled most of the game but were unable to make or take clear chances and what should have been a comfortable victory ended in a drab draw.

The game began with United making a number of changes with Taylor, Kilgallon, Harper and Cotterill all making way for Stewart, Davies, Little and Cresswell. Rovers did not have the injured Brian Stock nor on loan Billy Sharp in their starting line up. After a minutes applause for the late Dave Kilner; the game began with Doncaster starting in determined mood and they had a chance in the opening minute. Shiels shot fortunately lacked power and this saved a dozy looking home side. Evans then fired wide after a good run by Stewart and the striker will have felt he should have done better after being well found. United then forced 3 straight corners. Davies had two headers over the bar and Montgomery had a shot deflected wide.

United had been slow to start initially but they had taken a grip of the game and the game was now being played almost exclusively in the opponents half. However, the shooting was woeful with efforts from Evans and Quinn not going close to the goal. United’s best effort came when Hird ricocheted the ball inadvertently towards his own goal but Sullivan reacted well. Evans nodded wide when well placed and the Blades seemed in complete control without having the goals to backup their superiority.

It was a shock to the home fans then when Rovers broke away and scored not long before the half time break. Woods initially got away from Montgomery and after the ball was not cleared the ball was lofted over the centre of the defence by Shiels. HAYTER was onto it and seemed in a good position to score but he checked back inside and it seemed the chance had gone as United got defenders back. However, Hayter did get his shot away and the ball took a horrible deflection off Morgan who was attempting to make the block and the ball looped over the grounded Bunn. Despite the length stoppage time after the earlier injuries, Sullivan pushed away Cresswell’s shot after good work from Henderson and thus Rovers went into the break with an undeserved lead.

France came on for injured Montgomery and went into the central position as United sought to get back into the game. Little was becoming more prominent and his clever football brain was coming to the fore. Roberts was booked for time wasting as early as the 53rd minutes as Doncaster made their intentions clear. Evans shot across goal and then Little fired over. On a couple of occasions United actually overplayed the ball when a shooting opportunity looked to have been presented.

Finally just after the hour United were on level terms and it was the two new wide men who combined to excellent effect. Little created space with neat footwork and then sent over a delightful cross over the centre backs and keeper Sullivan that cried out for the finishing touch from a teammate. CRESSWELL came in and bravely dived into head the ball home into the empty net. The goalscorer briefly received treatment but was fit to continue.

United could sense the three points were for the taking and Rovers continued to sit back. From Little’s free kick they really ought to have scored but Henderson hit the post with Sullivan motionless. Treacy came on and played wide left replacing Evans with Cresswell going alongside Henderson. Cotterill also came on for the tiring Little who got warm applause.

Rovers did have a flurry of possession and chances for 5 minutes as the game entered its closing stages. Woods had a free kick into the wall from a dangerous position and then Chambers shot was blocked from Walker as Doncaster had suddenly come to life.

Walker played a one two with Little and saw Sullivan tip over his stinging effort as the young full back looked for his first goal for the club and the winner. An additional 4 minutes of time were played but despite United now being firmly on the offensive and pumping numerous balls into the box from corners they could not create anything of significance before the full time whistle.

United – It was better than Tuesday but still not great. We did try and pass the ball a little better today and really ought to have won the game against woeful opponents. The game itself was a really poor contest with little to no quality and not much football. United still had major faults but had most of the game and got in fairly decent positions but our shooting and final ball was appalling and as a result despite having most of the game we did not have that many chances on goal. Even when good crosses came in the front two did not attack the ball enough or get in good positions. Little offered some creativity but overall we lacked guile and nous yet again and struggled to create clear chances. We looked very slow with the front 4 all tortoise like in pace and despite our height advantage in these positions, particularly wide did not make chances from the crosses that came in.

Evans has been a massive disappointment so far. I was fairly impressed in the Watford game but since then he had done little to nothing and looks like he is just going through the motions. For 3 million pounds I expect much more and he is hardly proving people wrong who said he was good enough to still play in the top flight. Henderson does a steady job as a target man but spends most of the game tussling instead of concentrating on the ball. He does need a fast foil alongside him I think.

Missing Ward has been a huge blow and we lack that spark and pace. Cotterill has not really done it this year and it means we are still nowhere near finding our best eleven. We were ok at the back save for Bunn’s hesitancy and Stewart who on that performance is no better than what we already had and is a signing for the sake of making a signing. He belies Blackwell’s quality not quantity comment.

We have now only 1 win in 5 and lost or failed to beat some of the poorer sides. Only picking up 2 points from 6 against Ipswich and Doncaster is not good enough. Equally it concerns me that we now have harder home games to come against Cardiff and Newcastle.

I actually think we have regressed since the season started and are going backwards in results and performances. I cannot see how we can turn it around. We have signed about 10 loan players but the team changes most weeks despite it being a small squad. It does appear like Blackwell is struggling to push the team on further and I worry that the season may peter out to mid table mediocrity if things carry on. Part of me thinks we need more quality and creativity but then on paper signings like Evans and Harper were excellent but they have not really improved things. Maybe it is the coaching as much as the personnel but things have to improve. Sure we are around the playoff zone but I actually can see things getting worse before they get better especially with an already small squad losing players all the time to injury.

Doncaster – Last year we played them twice and they zipped the ball about; looked enterprising and were a breath of fresh air in comparison to our direct approach. Today they actually played even less football than us and we did not play much. They were really poor and save for a spell towards the end when they had a few decent openings, they barely had a shot all game. They were lucky with the goal and overall they had a lot of luck in terms of run of the ball, the post saving them and could have conceded a penalty. Without Stock (and Wellens) they do not look the same team. They did not keep the ball well and spent a good portion of the game time wasting or kicking the ball into touch. I was really surprised how bad they were. I can barely think of a player who impressed me. However, they got a valuable point on the road and we were not good enough to beat them so all the above does not matter. They will be in for a season of struggle on that showing though.
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

A Blades view of todays game Empty Re: A Blades view of todays game

Post by VixDRFC Sun 4 Oct - 8:43:20

If I was the writer of that I wouldn't be admitting how surprised they were at how bad we were when they couldn't beat us, its like Scunthorpe unable to beat 9 men

I think I'd be more worried if I was a Blades fan, unable to beat what must be the most cobbled together side we've turned out (Donny Dog on the bench wouldnt have surprised me!) Just imagine when we get even a couple of players back from injury/suspension?
VixDRFC
VixDRFC
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by superspy Sun 4 Oct - 11:18:48

i honestly believe that with our entire first team midfield playing today, (stock, woods, copps, oster) we would have ripped them apart like we did twice last year. bring on the repeat fixture at the moat. Very Happy

superspy
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by East Yorks Rover Sun 4 Oct - 19:31:30

"Today they actually played even less football than us and we did not play much. They were really poor and save for a spell towards the end when they had a few decent openings, they barely had a shot all game. "

Sheffield United had how many serious attempts on our goal in 90 minutes? Not many at all from what I could figure out from the commentary. No doubt they will start grumbling about their team playing tippy tappy football next! Great display from a squad side without our inspiration (Stock), our engine (Oster), our guile (Copps) and our goalscorer (Heffs and Sharp). When is SOD going to give Heffs a real run out? If I were him I would be looking for off in January, he must have more patience than Job! Very Happy
East Yorks Rover
East Yorks Rover
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by East Yorks Rover Sun 4 Oct - 19:40:17

Just to answer my own question, (my God am I turning into Carling having conversations with myself?!!! Rolling Eyes ) here are the stats if anybody is interested, a fairly even match on those stats.

SHEFF UTD DONCASTER
Sheff Utd 55% Doncaster 45% Possesion
Sheff Utd 10 Doncaster 7 Shots on target
Sheff Utd 12 Doncaster 2 Shots off target
Sheff Utd 10 Doncaster 2 Corners
Sheff Utd 15 Doncaster 8 Fouls

It also shows how the Blades are a much dirtier side than Rovers! Mad
East Yorks Rover
East Yorks Rover
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Barnsleytilidie Sun 4 Oct - 20:08:32

Bluffwell said on Radio pigswill that your manager would be going home last night wondering why you hadn't been beaten by 5 clear goals?.....god how I detest that pillock?.....a pillowcase full of my excrement would be a better more imaginitive manager than that spiv? Rolling Eyes

Well said that man, he has no idea how to manage a team............you had better keep an eye on Robins or they will boot the ignorant twat out and nick your man!
Incidentally that wasn't the same game I watched the Blunts really do live in a dreamland ; they played half of our regular team and could have been taken apart in the last 20 mins. pity SO'D didn't recognise this and put Fairhurst on .
Promotion for the Blunts can now only remain a far-off dream. There will be many a team at full strength that will put them to the sword this season. lol!
Barnsleytilidie
Barnsleytilidie
Pride Of Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkie64red Sun 4 Oct - 20:59:32

If i was Blackwell i would be asking myself, why my team of superstars were unable to beat a cobbled together rovers squad, the Heart of the team was missing today and we should have been there for the taking, as it was i think it was them that especially in the last 20 minuites looked tired and sluggish and were easily beatable, if only Sod had brought fairhurst on i'm sure he would have made the difference..
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

Post by VixDRFC Mon 5 Oct - 2:02:05

Maybe it was Blackwell speak for 'I'm going to go home wondering how my expensive team didn't win 5-0 and how did Rovers manage to score at all?'

You just know O'Driscoll wouldn't be thinking anything about Sheff Utd, it would be Rovers didn't keep the ball enough and gave it away too easily!
VixDRFC
VixDRFC
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkie64red Mon 5 Oct - 2:10:14

VixDRFC wrote:Maybe it was Blackwell speak for 'I'm going to go home wondering how my expensive team didn't win 5-0 and how did Rovers manage to score at all?'

You just know O'Driscoll wouldn't be thinking anything about Sheff Utd, it would be Rovers didn't keep the ball enough and gave it away too easily!

Well i tried to listen to our Sods post match comments on player but i'm afraid it was upto our backroom boys usual standard " Crap " and to think we pay £40 a year for this A Blades view of todays game Icon_rolleyes
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

Post by VixDRFC Mon 5 Oct - 3:07:59

yorkie64red wrote:to think we pay £40 a year for this A Blades view of todays game Icon_rolleyes

Ahem, don't you mean I pay £40 year lol! Or were you meaning the royal "we"?
VixDRFC
VixDRFC
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by East Yorks Rover Mon 5 Oct - 7:13:31

I hate to interrupt the domestic, Laughing but try listening to the same interview on BBC Sport Football, it is on there without the sound effects of the 70 miles an hour gusts of wind. The media team will have to stand further away from Blackwell next time!
East Yorks Rover
East Yorks Rover
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkie64red Mon 5 Oct - 7:18:18

East Yorks Rover wrote:I hate to interrupt the domestic, A Blades view of todays game Icon_lol but try listening to the same interview on BBC Sport Football, it is on there without the sound effects of the 70 miles an hour gusts of wind. The media team will have to stand further away from Blackwell next time!

A Blades view of todays game Icon_biggrin A Blades view of todays game Icon_biggrin A Blades view of todays game Icon_biggrin A Blades view of todays game Icon_biggrin A Blades view of todays game Icon_biggrin
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkie64red Tue 6 Oct - 5:20:21

Well i have been told today that webster caused the injury to his arm by grabbing hold of Henderson, that we were playing a reserve Sheffield Utd side, that the football we played was the worst they have seen at the lane this season, god its terrible sharing an office with a Blade, especially when theres only us two in it, they are clever though he saw all this and was not even there.. A Blades view of todays game Icon_smile
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

Post by superspy Tue 6 Oct - 6:12:47

your colleague is a tool.

superspy
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkie64red Tue 6 Oct - 6:16:57

superspy wrote:your colleague is a tool.

Aren't they all... A Blades view of todays game Icon_biggrin
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoop Tue 6 Oct - 7:33:48

yorkie64red wrote:

Are they for real...............load of tossers, are they that dumb ? pig pig
hoolahoop
hoolahoop

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkie64red Tue 6 Oct - 7:37:45

hoolahoop wrote:
yorkie64red wrote:

Are they for real...............load of tossers, are they that dumb ? A Blades view of todays game Icon_porc A Blades view of todays game Icon_porc

It appears so A Blades view of todays game Icon_porc A Blades view of todays game Icon_porc A Blades view of todays game Icon_porc A Blades view of todays game Icon_porc A Blades view of todays game Icon_porc ideas of Grandeur.
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoop Tue 6 Oct - 7:42:26

yorkie64red wrote:
hoolahoop wrote:
yorkie64red wrote:

Are they for real...............load of tossers, are they that dumb ? A Blades view of todays game Icon_porc A Blades view of todays game Icon_porc

It appears so A Blades view of todays game Icon_porc A Blades view of todays game Icon_porc A Blades view of todays game Icon_porc A Blades view of todays game Icon_porc A Blades view of todays game Icon_porc ideas of Grandeur.

Jeez and I thought the Wendies were worst, how wrong can you be! scratch
hoolahoop
hoolahoop

Back to top Go down

Post by superspy Tue 6 Oct - 8:05:08

A Blades view of todays game Delusion

superspy
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkie64red Tue 6 Oct - 8:09:18

superspy wrote:A Blades view of todays game Delusion

Brilliant, might show him that tommorow A Blades view of todays game Icon_biggrin A Blades view of todays game Icon_biggrin A Blades view of todays game Icon_biggrin A Blades view of todays game Icon_biggrin
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

Post by VixDRFC Tue 6 Oct - 8:32:00

You know when the Yorkshire Post implied Henderson was lucky not to have been sent off its not as rose tinted as some of the Blades fans make out lol!

And I'd love a "reserve" team with a £3M striker on it - but one better than Ched Evans please! lol!
VixDRFC
VixDRFC
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by VixDRFC Tue 6 Oct - 8:34:51

yorkie64red wrote:
superspy wrote:A Blades view of todays game Delusion

Brilliant, might show him that tommorow A Blades view of todays game Icon_biggrin A Blades view of todays game Icon_biggrin A Blades view of todays game Icon_biggrin A Blades view of todays game Icon_biggrin

It's also known as that cruise down the river in Egypt "De-nial" lol! Wink
VixDRFC
VixDRFC
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoop Tue 6 Oct - 8:38:06

VixDRFC wrote:You know when the Yorkshire Post implied Henderson was lucky not to have been sent off its not as rose tinted as some of the Blades fans make out lol!

And I'd love a "reserve" team with a £3M striker on it - but one better than Ched Evans please! lol!

Sour grapes, they are just talking bollox.......................the wheels have fallen off so the only way to explain it is to disparage the opposition and downgrade the quality available for the match for your own team. Reserve team my arse!!
I'm beginning to think that Brian the Blunt is one of the more intelligent amongst them. lol! lol! lol!
hoolahoop
hoolahoop

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkie64red Tue 6 Oct - 8:41:29

VixDRFC wrote:You know when the Yorkshire Post implied Henderson was lucky not to have been sent off its not as rose tinted as some of the Blades fans make out A Blades view of todays game Lol

And I'd love a "reserve" team with a £3M striker on it - but one better than Ched Evans please! A Blades view of todays game Lol

Thats true the yorkshire post is hardly known for saying anything in Rovers favour.
yorkie64red
yorkie64red

Back to top Go down

Post by VixDRFC Tue 6 Oct - 8:45:44

yorkie64red wrote:
VixDRFC wrote:You know when the Yorkshire Post implied Henderson was lucky not to have been sent off its not as rose tinted as some of the Blades fans make out A Blades view of todays game Lol

And I'd love a "reserve" team with a £3M striker on it - but one better than Ched Evans please! A Blades view of todays game Lol

Thats true the yorkshire post is hardly known for saying anything in Rovers favour.
Henderson was "Villain of Match" lol! Shame Cresswell was "Hero" though after watching that goal all I can say is he wanted it bad! Probs because of their fans booing his first appearance the match before!
VixDRFC
VixDRFC
Rovers Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next